- Doctor in Electrical Engineering (Universidad de Chile, 2010)
- M.Sc. in applied maths (Ecole Normale Superieure (ENS) de Cachan, France, 2006)
- Electrical engineering degree (2003), and bachelor in computer engineering from (Universidad de Chile, 2002).
- Postdoctoral Researcher at the AMTC, Universidad de Chile, (2010-present).
- Foreing Visiting Researcher, NDRC, Kyutech, Japan (Sept. 2011 - present).
- Research fellow at the NDRC, Kyutech, Japan (2009-2010).
- Associated researcher at the Fraunhofer IPK-Institute, Berlin, Germany (2004-2005).
- Research collaborator of the Center for Web Research at Universidad de Chile (2004).
- Rodrigo has participated in international projects, developed algorithms for large scale industrial systems, and at age 34 (2012), he is an active researcher with over 35 publications in international conferences and journals in the areas of Computer Vision and Machine Learning.
- Current research interests include: computer vision, machine learning, object detection and recognition, scene interpretation, and face analysis
- Rodrigo, enjoys photography, cooking, traveling and experiencing different cultures. He has worked and lived in 5 cities (Santiago de Chile, Berlin, Paris, Barcelona, and Fukuoka, Japan) and been to over 25 countries.
- Resume (PDF, 2 pages), last update November 2012.
Current and previous affiliations
- Advanced Mining Technology Center (AMTC), Univ. de Chile, Chile
- Network Desing and Research Center (NDRC), Kyushu Institute of Technology, Japan
- Dept. of Pattern Recognition, Fraunhofer-IPK, Berlin, Germany
- Center for Web Research (CWR), Universidad de Chile, Chile
- Spanish (native)
- English (fluent)
- French (intermediate)
- German (basic-intermediate)
- Japanese (basic)
- Italian (I can understand it and read it)
Previous education institutions
- Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Universidad de Chile, Chile
- Centre de Mathematiques et de Leurs Applications (CMLA), ENS Cachan, France
- Dept. of Computer Engineering, Universidad de Chile, Chile
Projects/institutionsProjects/institutions that have used some of the developed algorithms:
- Webfaces project, Center for Web Research, Universidad de Chile
- Bender, a Humanoid Robot developed at the Universidad de Chile
- The Robocup teams of the Universidad de Chile
- The Fraunhofer-IPK Institute, Berlin, Germany.
- The Bundesdruckerei, Germany
- Programming: Proficient in C and Go. Familiar with JAVA, C++, Bash/Awk and OpenMP. Basic knowledge of MPI for C PHP, Python.
- Versioning: Familiar with GIT and SubVersion (SVN).
- Data analysis: Familiar with Matlab/Octave, WEKA, gnuplot and R.
- OS: Experienced with GNU/Linux and OSx. Familiar with Windows.
- Publishing: Experienced with \LaTeX.
- H-index: 4 (2010, Source: ISI Web of Knowledge)
- Erdös Number: 5
(Rodrigo Verschae (5) -> Mario Köppen (4) -> Ajith Abraham (3) -> Nath Gupta Baikunth (2) -> Gupta Hansraj (1) -> Paul Erdös (0))
Memberships and Societies
- Member of the IEEE since 1999.
- Member of the IEEE Computational Intelligence Society.
- Member of the IEEE Robotics and Automation Society Membership.