- Doctor in Electrical Engineering (2010) Universidad de Chile
- M.Sc. in applied maths (2006), Ecole Normale Superieure (ENS) de Cachan, France
- Electrical engineering degree (2003), Universidad de Chile.
- Bachelor in computer engineering (2002), Universidad de Chile.
- Project-specific Researcher at the Graduate School of Informatics, Kyoto University, Japan (2013-present)
- Postdoctoral Researcher at the AMTC, Universidad de Chile, (2010-2013).
- Foreing Visiting Researcher, Kyutech, Japan (Sept. 2011 - March 2012).
- Research fellow at the Network Research Center (NDRC), Kyutech, Japan (2009-2010).
- Associated researcher at the Fraunhofer IPK-Institute, Berlin, Germany (2004-2005).
- Research collaborator of the Center for Web Research at Universidad de Chile (2004).
- Rodrigo has participated in international projects, developed algorithms for large scale industrial systems, and at age 35 (2013), he is an active researcher with over 40 publications in international conferences and journals in the areas of Computer Vision and Machine Learning.
- Current research interests include: pattern recognition, computer vision, machine learning, object detection and recognition, scene interpretation, multi-objective optimization, coordination and distributed systems, and face analysis
- Rodrigo, enjoys photography, cooking, traveling and experiencing different cultures. He has worked and lived in 6 cities (Santiago, Berlin, Paris, Barcelona, Kyoto, and Fukuoka) and been to over 25 countries.
- Resume (PDF, 2 pages), last update November 2012.
Current and previous affiliations
- Graduate School of Informatics, Kyoto University, Japan
- Advanced Mining Technology Center (AMTC), Univ. de Chile, Chile
- Network Desing and Research Center (NDRC), Kyushu Institute of Technology, Japan
- Dept. of Pattern Recognition, Fraunhofer-IPK, Berlin, Germany
- Center for Web Research (CWR), Universidad de Chile, Chile
Academic Activities (Selected)
- International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems (IJARS, Reviewer)
- Applied Soft Computing (ASOC,Reviewer)
- Computers & Electrical Engineering (COMPELECENG, Reviewer)
- IEEE RAS Summer School on "Robot Vision and Applications" 2013, (General co-chair)
- Program committee: ICAR'13, CLEI'13, HBU-IROS'12 (Program committee)
- LATIN'13, HRI'13 (Reviewer)
- Spanish (native)
- English (fluent)
- French (intermediate)
- German (basic-intermediate)
- Japanese (basic)
- Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Universidad de Chile, Chile
- Centre de Mathematiques et de Leurs Applications (CMLA), Ecole Normale Superieure (ENS) Cachan, France
- Dept. of Computer Sciences, Universidad de Chile, Chile
Projects/institutionsSome of the developed algorithms where used by:
- Webfaces project, Center for Web Research, Universidad de Chile
- Bender, a Humanoid Robot developed at the Universidad de Chile
- The Robocup teams of the Universidad de Chile
- The Fraunhofer-IPK Institute, Berlin, Germany
- The Bundesdruckerei, Germany
- Programming: Proficient in C and Go. Familiar with Matlab, JAVA, C++, Bash/Awk and OpenMP. Basic knowledge of MPI for C and PHP.
- Versioning: Familiar with GIT and SubVersion (SVN).
- Data analysis: Familiar with WEKA, gnuplot and R.
- OS: Experienced with GNU/Linux and OSX. Familiar with Windows.
- Publishing: Experienced with \LaTeX.
- H-index: 14 (2013, Source: Google Scholar)
- H-index: 5 (2013, Source: ISI Web of Knowledge)
- Erdös Number: 5
(Rodrigo Verschae (5) -> Mario Köppen (4) -> Ajith Abraham (3) -> Nath Gupta Baikunth (2) -> Gupta Hansraj (1) -> Paul Erdös (0))
Memberships and Societies
- Member of the IEEE (since 1999).
- Member of the IEEE Computational Intelligence Society.
- Member of the IEEE Robotics and Automation Society.